Monday 13 January 2014

Final Thoughts

After 14 weeks of writing a blog I do not claim to be an expert on nuclear power and there are likely many issues I have missed out given the wide-ranging debate associated with our energy future. I came to this blog as an impartial and fairly uneducated observer of the nuclear power debate, what I offer here is my impression of nuclear power after researching and writing this blog.

So to begin with the most obvious question to ask would be do I support nuclear power? Well yes, as I outlined in 'Can we live nuclear free?', I do not feel we can afford to completely cut all ties with atomic energy in the face of climate change. Specifically I feel nuclear power plants could offer added stability in the fight against climate change. It is currently cheaper than most renewable technologies and would allow countries where land is sparse to generate a greater proportion of carbon-free energy. That said, moving later into the century I hope that with greater investment in renewables and a spread in sustainable living, reliance on nuclear power could be reduced; it Is after all a finite resource.

In accepting nuclear power it means that I do not consider the risk and environmental damage associated with the industry large outweighs the risk of taking inadequate action on climate change, which I feel is possible if we solely rely on renewables to reduce emissions globally. So how big a gamble do I perceive nuclear power to be?  Well unfortunately there isn’t a unit of measurement to quantify risk, but the impression I got is that most of the risk comes from extreme events. I do not feel mishaps during day to day running are very likely, reactor designs have moved on since the 1980s and meltdown protocols have been sharpened. Where the real threat lies is during times where normal protocol can’t be followed during earthquakes and flood events, where the technology meets head on with the external environment. In these circumstances the threat is not solely from the extreme event itself, as explored in my fifth post but is exacerbated by an inherent risk in nuclear power due to the huge amount of heat required and the long lived nature of radiation. The risk is also magnified given that the consequences are often severe and exclusive to nuclear accidents (see 'The Health legacy of Chernobyl').

Despite all of the above I still believe it is a risk worth taking because the main effects of nuclear accidents are regional and climate change threatens us globally. The environmental costs associated with nuclear power are still ambiguous (see 'The ecological threat of Nuclear power') and let us not forget that many renewable resources require land quantities of land, which will no doubt affect animal habitats and human settlements. 

So how far should we go? I would advocate nuclear power in having a 20% share of global electricity by 2050, a 7% increase from present day, and roughly a doubling in generating capacity given the projected rise in global electricity demand. I consider this a realistic target in light of China and India’s planned nuclear development, and a significant proportion allowing more time for renewable technologies to develop. The reasons for stopping at 20% is firstly the economic cost whilst in this blog I mainly focused on the environmental aspects of nuclear power there is uncertainty associated with the overnight costs. Secondly I can’t help but acknowledge  the inherent risk of the technology and the consequences of previous accidents. I feel that with a more rapid global expansion safety and legislation may fall by the wayside increasing risk.

Thank you for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment